Lisa Hamblen, Advising on: Economics, Environmental Studies, Geology, Geography & Atmospheric Science, UKANTeach

Meet Your Advisor: Lisa Hamblen

College students get lots of cliché advice, such as “go to class,” “take advantage of office hours” and “meet with your advisor.” These sentiments are shared so often because they work. Meeting your advisor can be especially helpful for choosing a major or minor, finding internship or job opportunities, and overall making the most of your time in college.  Advisors are there to provide professional, unbiased advice and help students be successful, plus they’re pretty cool people.

Not sure who your advisor is? Find your academic advisor by logging in through your myKU portal.

An icebreaker when you meet Lisa:

Ask Lisa about the first time she met Baby Jay!

Everything you need to know about Lisa (sort of)

Undergraduate Major:  Interdisciplinary studies—human resources and society from Michigan State University.

I became an advisor because…  After receiving my master’s in higher education leadership, I wanted to continue my pathway in student affairs.  It wasn’t until I became an adjunct faculty that I thought more about the academic side of higher education.  Although, I continued with student affairs after teaching, I never forgot about my experience and always thought it would be nice to become an academic advisor- a little mix of both worlds.

My 140-character soapbox:  I enjoy Olympic weightlifting and practicing yoga –they complement each other well.  I need coffee in the morning, and love spending time with family and friends.  Laughing is my absolute favorite.

What’s at the top of your bucket list?  To be in a chicken wing eating contest and back squat 350 lbs.

What did you want to be when you were growing up?  At an early age, I wanted to be an art teacher.  As I got older, I decided that I wanted to be in advertising.  Things changed a bit after graduating college and that’s ok!

My super power would be:  To teleport anywhere, anytime.

My best advice for college students:  I actually have two things!

Make value of your time. Think, "Is this helping me reach my goals?" to any situation. I know it can get touch and tiring, but realize that the product you're getting is the effort that you're putting into ti.

Meet with your faculty! They want to help and meet you. They hold the key for knowledge and opportunities to help you be successful.

Get in touch with Lisa if you’re interested in Economics, Environmental Studies, Geology, Geography & Atmospheric Science, and UKAN Teach