Alumni Profile: Gen. Charles G. Boyd, U.S. Air Force (Ret.)

KU helped launch path of healing, career achievements for distinguished Vietnam POW

General Boyd in plane
Gen. Charles G. Boyd flies his plane over Washington, D.C. He has been a pilot for decades and prefers flying as his mode of transportation.

The simple answer to why Charles Boyd enrolled at the University of Kansas in 1973 is that he was interested in the Spanish language and Latin American culture. The complicated answer developed over the course of nearly seven years spent as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.

Now 50 years into a distinguished career of military service and national policy consulting, Gen. Charles G. Boyd, U.S. Air Force (Ret.), has no shortage of interesting stories. He has commanded U.S. military forces in Europe, directed a National Commission that foresaw the increasing threat of terrorism before the Sept. 11 attacks and is the only prisoner of war from Vietnam to achieve the rank of four-star general. Arguably among his most fascinating stories, however, is how he ended up at the University of Kansas.

Surviving Imprisonment

Upcoming Event
Boyd has been named one of the 2013 Distinguished Alumni of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Kansas, the highest honor from the College. He will be recognized at a special event at KU’s Dole Institute on October 18, 2013.

Boyd was about six months into his combat tour as an Air Force pilot when his 105th mission ended in a prison cell in Hanoi. On April 22, 1966, he had to eject from his plane after it was hit by enemy fire from the North Vietnamese. He was captured, then spent the next 2,488 days as a POW.

The treatment of American prisoners of war took a toll physically and mentally. Aside from interrogations that were often forms of torture, the isolation of prisoners from each other kept the POWs in the dark on what was happening in the world around them.

“I lived in a near vacuum as a prisoner of war for seven years, being cut off from information, other than that which I could get from other prisoners,” Boyd said.

During Boyd’s time in captivity, the first astronauts walked on the moon. Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated. The Woodstock music festival and Watergate scandal made headlines and the Beatles broke up. News of some events may have made it to prisoners, but what came was scarce, and it arrived in a trickle.

Although prisoners were isolated – sometimes in solitary confinement, other times with one or two cellmates – and weren’t allowed to speak to each other, they still found ways to communicate. One early prisoner brought in a “tap code,” a system of tapping out letters on cell walls as a way to “talk” to men in neighboring cells. Words were communicated, letter by letter, in a combination of taps.

The tap code helped prisoners pass the time, bolstering morale, sharing knowledge, telling stories and jokes, spreading news and even teaching new skills.

When Boyd found out that a prisoner two cells away knew Spanish, he used the tap code to learn a new language. A prisoner in the cell between them relayed the lessons and questions back and forth between Boyd and his teacher, tap by tap.

“It took a long time, but he gave me about 2,700 words of vocabulary, basic verb conjugation, pronunciation, syntax, et cetera,” Boyd said. “The big calluses on my knuckles from tapping so much lasted close to 10 years after I came home.”

Gen. Boyd portrait
Boyd is the only Vietnam POW to achieve the rank of four-star general. During his time in captivity, the first astronauts walked on the moon. Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated. The Woodstock music festival and Watergate scandal made headlines and the Beatles broke up.

Healing at KU

Boyd was finally freed and returned to the U.S. in February of 1973. The Air Force asked what he would like to do next. In an interview with NBC this spring, Boyd reflected on the options he weighed at the time.

“For me, I decided that this is behind me,” Boyd told NBC News. He didn’t want to “spend the rest of my life as a returned POW, and be recognized for that and nothing else. There was a whole new world in front of me and I didn’t know what it was,” but he was determined to look forward, not backward.

With his future in mind, Boyd told the Air Force he would like to complete his baccalaureate degree. He had about two years of college before joining the Air Force. So, the Air Force offered him three years of education to complete a degree wherever he chose.

When he was considering his options, expanding his newfound knowledge of Spanish was a priority. So, was location. His wife (who passed away in 1994), a Kansas native and KU graduate, had stayed in Wichita at McConnell Air Force base, where Boyd had been stationed before deployment. The University of Kansas, with its proximity to Wichita and a well-known Latin American studies program, easily met his criteria. So in fall of 1973, he became a Jayhawk.

(Click here for next page)