Sydney Stone. Advising on School of the Arts: Dance, Tilm & Media Studies, Theatre, Visual Art, History of Art.

Meet Your Advisor: Sydney Stone

College students get lots of cliché advice, such as “go to class,” “take advantage of office hours” and “meet with your advisor.” These sentiments are shared so often because they work. Meeting your advisor can be especially helpful for choosing a major or minor, finding internship or job opportunities, and overall making the most of your time in college.  Advisors are there to provide professional, unbiased advice and help students be successful, plus they’re pretty cool people.

Not sure who your advisor is? Find your academic advisor by logging in through your myKU portal.

An icebreaker when you meet Sydney:

Picture of Potter lake and the Campanile, with a storm cloud in the sky. The text reads: "Ask Sydney why Potter Lake is so special.

Everything you need to know about Sydney (sort of)

Undergraduate Major: B.A. in Political Science, Spanish, and International Studies.

I became an advisor because… I enjoy being a problem solver!  Helping students connect to resources and find their way at KU is so rewarding.

What did you want to be when you were growing up? I wanted to work for the government as a Foreign Service Officer.

My favorite place on campus is… The cafe and art gallery in Chalmers Hall (the Visual Art Building).  Aside from art and design students, not many people know about it, so it is a beautiful relaxing space to grab a coffee or eat lunch.

The cafe and art gallery in Chalmers Hall (the Visual Art Building)

The secret fountain and courtyard in Murphy Hall is a close second:

My best advice for college students: Get involved in at least one campus group and visit your professor’s office hours. They aren’t scary – I promise!

My favorite KU memory is… Getting married at Potter Lake and having the Campanile bells play in the background.  I love KU, so it was great to intertwine the University in such a fun life event!

Sydney getting married at the edge of Potter Lake. There are four bridesmaids to the left wearing dark blue dresses and holding yellow flowers. There are four groomsmen to the right, wearing white shirts and great trousers. Guests watch on.

My super power would be: Teleportation.  No traffic, no running late – just teleport to where I need to be!

Get in touch with Sydney if you’re interested in studying in the School of the Arts: Dance, Film & Media Studies, Theatre, Visual Arts and History of Art

Click here