Meet Your Advisor: Precious Sanders

College students get lots of cliché advice, such as “go to class,” “take advantage of office hours” and “meet with your advisor.” These sentiments are shared so often because they work. Meeting your advisor can be especially helpful for choosing a major or minor, finding internship or job opportunities, and overall making the most of your time in college.  Advisors are there to provide professional, unbiased advice and help students be successful, plus they’re pretty cool people.

Not sure who your advisor is? Find your academic advisor by logging in through your myKU portal.

An icebreaker when you meet Precious:

Everything you need to know about Precious (sort of)

Undergraduate major: English and history

I became an advisor because…  I worked as a supplemental instructor and tutor when I was an undergrad, and I was a graduate assistant while pursuing my master’s.  Both were very rewarding, and I discovered that I enjoy working with students and hearing about the things they are pursuing and wanting to do with their lives.  Plus, I really enjoy the experience of being on a college campus.

What’s at the top of your bucket list?  I really want to go to Cooperstown to see the Baseball Hall of Fame Museum.  I’m a big baseball fan as well as a history buff, so baseball museums are like little pieces of heaven to me.

My favorite KU memory is…  My first KU basketball game.  I’ve been to all kinds of sporting events, but nothing like this!  The energy was completely indescribable, and the Rock Chalk chant literally gave me goose bumps.

My best advice for college students:

What did you want to be when you were growing up?  I never had my heart fully set on any one thing, really.  When I was really young, my mom wanted me to be a nurse.  I went through phases of wanting to be a musician, a lawyer, a ballplayer, and a teacher.  In high school, I wanted to be a writer, which was why I became an English major.

My super power would be:  I’d be a Jedi.

Get in touch with Precious for graduation advice (students with last names A-B and W-Z)

Click here