Meet Your Advisor: Liz Barton

College students get lots of cliché advice, such as “go to class,” “take advantage of office hours” and “meet with your advisor.” These sentiments are shared so often because they work. Meeting your advisor can be especially helpful for choosing a major or minor, finding internship or job opportunities, and overall making the most of your time in college.  Advisors are there to provide professional, unbiased advice and help students be successful, plus they’re pretty cool people.

Not sure who your advisor is? Find your academic advisor by logging in through your myKU portal.

An icebreaker when you meet Liz:

Ask Liz about being a senior when the men's basketball team won the 2008 National Championship

Everything you need to know about Liz (sort of)

Undergraduate Major: Interior Design

Elizabeth_Barton_OPT(1)I became an advisor because … I’m a super nerd for school, education and anything related!  I started working at Student Academic Services as an administrative assistant and thought I would like to do more work directly with students.  I love that I get to helps students succeed in higher education every day!

My best advice for college students: Get engaged as much as possible on campus!  You may find a passion you never knew you had – try research, study abroad, internships, meeting and collaborating with different faculty.  I have never heard of anyone who regretted doing these things (even if they weren’t specific to their major or career interests).

My  soapbox: I often meet with students who want/have a permanent plan outlined for their future.  I’m here to tell you that plans change, and that’s okay!

Be prepared, yet flexible and things will work out.

My favorite KU memory is … I have a bunch, but I don’t think anything can top being a senior here at KU when the men’s basketball team won the National Championship!

What did you want to be when you were growing up? When I was young, I wanted to be a veterinarian until I realized what they actually do (I think in reality, I wanted to be a glorified pet babysitter).

My super power would be: Teleportation!

Get in touch with Liz for graduation advice (students with last names H-L)

Click here