Kat McCreery. Advising on Psychology (students with a last name starting with A - K), Pre-Behavioral Neuroscience, Sociology

Meet Your Advisor: Kat McCreery

College students get lots of cliché advice, such as “go to class,” “take advantage of office hours” and “meet with your advisor.” These sentiments are shared so often because they work. Meeting your advisor can be especially helpful for choosing a major or minor, finding internship or job opportunities, and overall making the most of your time in college.  Advisors are there to provide professional, unbiased advice and help students be successful, plus they’re pretty cool people.

Not sure who your advisor is? Find your academic advisor by logging in through your myKU portal.

An icebreaker when you meet Kat:

Image of a large crowd of Jayhawks. Text reads, "Ask Kat about how it felt to be welcomed by the KU community."

Everything you need to know about Kat (sort of)

Undergraduate Major: Political science

I became an advisor because … after finishing my undergrad degree I accepted a position in higher education through the NCAA Women & Ethnic Minority Internship Program.  One of the best parts of my position was working with college students and helping them in their journey through undergrad.  KU is the 5th institution I have worked with students in some type of advising capacity.

My soapbox: I think my favorite quote sums it up best – “Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.” – Minor Myers, Jr.

My favorite KU memory is  I am still newer to KU as I am entering my 2nd year so would say the wonderful welcome my family received from the KU community when my husband and I started our positions.

My best advice for college students: 

Pursue your passions – whether that is through coursework, volunteering, etc.  And take advantage of the tremendous opportunities you are given both inside and outside the classroom (study abroad, research, organizations that inspire you). Kat McCreery, academic advisor

What did you want to be when you were growing up? The first female to play in the MLB.

My favorite place on campus is … my office – it’s where I get to interact with students and where I am reminded of my most important job – parenting my two (soon to be three) children as shown through the pictures on my wall.

My super power would be … the ability to always remain calm and show kindness in any situation.

Get in touch with Kat if you’re interested in studying Psychology (students with a last name starting with A – K), Pre-Behavioral Neuroscience and Sociology:

Click here