Meet Your Advisor: Cindy Thompson

College students get lots of cliché advice, such as “go to class,” “take advantage of office hours” and “meet with your advisor.” These sentiments are shared so often because they work. Meeting your advisor can be especially helpful for choosing a major or minor, finding internship or job opportunities, and overall making the most of your time in college.  Advisors are there to provide professional, unbiased advice and help students be successful, plus they’re pretty cool people.

Not sure who your advisor is? Find your academic advisor by logging in through your myKU portal.

An icebreaker when you meet Cindy:

Image of a KU football game crowd, with a large blue flag with a K in the middle. Text reads, Ask Cynthia about that time she was a guest coach for the football team!

Everything you need to know about Cindy (sort of)

Undergraduate Major: Communication Studies

I became an advisor becauseI did not have the best experience with advisors during my time in college and wanted to change that for other students; plus I’m just a helper by nature.

My best advice for college students: 

Enjoy these years, but not too much! Go to class, engage with faculty, take advantage of every opportunity to grow. Cindy Thompson, KU College Advisor

My  soapbox: Choose for you, not for a parent, grandparent, sibling.  Be true to yourself and trust your instincts.

My favorite KU memory is The couple of times I was a “guest” coach for the football team, it was great being on the sidelines pre-game.

What did you want to be when you were growing up? An elementary ed. teacher, but then I started in this area and knew it wasn’t for me, so I changed my major and then I changed it again J

My favorite place on campus isMy office, seriously, it’s where I do what I love, guiding students through this maze of higher education.

My super power would be: Flight, I’m a bit of a nervous flyer (I don’t let it stop me though), but I would love to just soar on my own.

Cindy’s people and furry friends:

Image on the left of Cynthia, and five of family members, and a white fluffy dog. Image to

Get in touch with Cindy if you’re interested in studying Communication Studies or Anthropology:

Click here